Rachel Elliot by

Posted on July 4, 2013

If you are considering the refurbishment of an existing property, adding an extension or embarking on a project for a new build, you will need to consider how best to protect your interests, both with regard to material assets and potential legal liabilities.

The usual insurance solution to these exposures is via a Contract Works policy. As the name suggests, the cover is arranged according to the contract terms and conditions.

The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) produces standard forms of contract for various types of construction project. These contracts clearly state what types of insurance need to be in place and where the responsibility for arranging cover lies.

Whilst the contract requirements are generally clear, the practicalities of ensuring you are adequately protected can be complex. The consequences of getting it wrong could be catastrophic and therefore we would strongly recommend that you contact us for further guidance should you be considering any type of construction or refurbishment project.